Your privacy is important to Tangent Universe and we take our responsibility of caring for it seriously. This policy describes how Tangent Universe Ltd ("Tangent Universe"), processes the personal information we collect about you when you use our products and services or when you attend live events hosted by or in connection with Tangent Universe (collectively, "Services"). In some cases, our subsidiaries may be considered data controllers, either together with Tangent Universe or by themselves.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The information we collect depends on what Services you use and how you use them.
A. INFORMATION YOU GIVE US DIRECTLY
ⓘ We collect information that you give us directly, such as when you create a Tangent Universe Account, set up security questions, make purchases, or contact Tangent Universe.
We collect information that you provide us, such as:
- Your Tangent Universe Account information, including your email address, username, real name, country, date of birth, telephone number and password;
- Security questions and answers;
- Information you provide in response to surveys about our Services;
- Information you provide when seeking help from us, such as your name, telephone number, and records (including call recordings) of the issues you experience; and
- Billing information, such as your name, payment card number, payment account details, and shipping address.
B. INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE WHEN PLAYING ONLINE
ⓘ When you play online, we may collect information about your gaming profile, your gameplay, or your use of social features.
When you participate in social features such as chat, any audio, visual, and/or electronic information that you disclose may be read, copied, collected, or used by other players, and may become publicly available. Please make sure your privacy settings reflect your preferences.
When you participate in online multiplayer games, your in-game profile information, gameplay, and statistics are visible. In some of our titles, when you play certain multiplayer modes, we may record your gameplay and replay it to other players. In competitive game modes, we may record your gameplay, and your controller button inputs, and replay these together with your in-game profile information and game statistics to other players in-game and at live Tangent Universe or partner events.
C. OTHER INFORMATION WE COLLECT WHEN YOU USE OUR SERVICES
ⓘ We may collect other information when you use our Services, such as information about your device, hardware and software information, IP address, or browser information.
We may collect other information automatically when you use our Services, such as:
- IP address;
- Information about your device, hardware, and software, such as your hardware identifiers, mobile device identifiers (like Apple Identifier for Advertising [IDFA], or Android Advertising ID [AAID]), platform type, settings and components, Tangent Universe software and updates you have installed, and the presence of required plugins;
- Approximate geolocation data (derived from IP or device settings);
- Browser information, including your browser type and the language preference;
- Referring and exit pages, including pages viewed and other interactions with web content;
- Details about what Tangent Universe games or Services you purchase or obtain, and your use of them;
- Device event information, including crash reports, request and referral URLs, and system activity details (e.g., whether you encountered an error playing our games or lost Internet access); and
- Other information (such as your likeness) that you may provide as part of your participation in live events.
We also may collect and store information locally on your device, using mechanisms like cookies, browser web storage (including HTML 5), and application data caches.
D. INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY THIRD PARTIES
ⓘ We may receive information about you from third parties or third-party authenticators that you use to sign in to our Services.
We may receive information about you contained in third-party user accounts when you use Tangent Universe online Services on or through third-party gaming platforms. This information is provided to Tangent Universe as part of establishing or linking a Tangent Universe Account, which is necessary to access Tangent Universe’s online services. Your use of Tangent Universe online Services through these third-parties indicates your agreement for the transfer of this information. We never receive your credit card number or other financial information from these third-parties as part of establishing or linking a Tangent Universe Account.
If you play or purchase our games on your mobile device or tablet, we receive information about you from the app stores and other mobile platform providers. This information may include your username or device ID and the fact that you made a purchase, as applicable, but does not include any financial information. Some of our mobile platforms may send information to us that you authorize them to provide. Our mobile games also may request additional personal information from you, such as push notification tokens, your device's specific location, or contact list, and we will collect this information only if you give us your consent.
Other Third Parties
We may receive information from other third parties, like Facebook or Apple Game Center, when you use these services with our games. We may also receive information about you when other players choose to share their contact lists with us or from publicly-available websites.
E. CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION PROCESSED
Depending on your use of our Services, the following categories of personal information may have been collected, shared, sold, or disclosed in the preceding 12 months (as these processing activities are defined under applicable privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act “CCPA”):
- Identifiers; such as a real name, user name, account name, email, online identifiers, device identifiers, IP address, or mobile device identifiers;
- Purchase information; such as payment card number, payment account details, billing address, and other payment information;
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications under state or federal law; such as age or gender;
- Commercial Information; such as products or services interaction and purchase history;
- Internet or Electronic Network Activity information; such as, browsing history, search history, and information regarding interactions with our games, websites, applications, and/or advertisements;
- Approximate (coarse) geolocation data; such as location data derived from IP address or device settings;
- Audio or Electronic information; such as when you play our games, play certain multiplayer modes, use chat features, or participate in competitive game modes or live events;
- Inferences; such as consumer preferences drawn from the above.
We may collect additional information, such as:
- If you are the recipient of a contest or sweepstakes prize that requires tax reporting, we may collect identifiers associated with your government-issued documents (such as a social security number).
- If you participate in our competitive gaming events, we may collect identifiers associated with your government-issued documents (such as a passport number), financial information (such as bank accounts), and health-related information.
- If you participate in our user experience research, we may collect financial information (such as bank accounts), health-related information and video footage of your gameplay, as well as your recorded image throughout the session.
F. LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING
ⓘ Depending on where you reside, we may rely on different legal bases to process your information.
Our legal basis for processing your personal information varies depending on the type of information we collect and the context in which we collect it as well as on your country of residence, as indicated when you are setting up your Tangent Universe account or, when not signed into a Tangent Universe Account, your location as determined by your IP address and/or your device registration country.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area or of a jurisdiction where similar legal requirements may apply such as Brazil, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, we rely on a number of legal bases to process information about you. We will process information about you where we have your consent, where we have a legitimate interest to do so, where the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with you, and/or where we have a legal obligation to process your information. For example, we typically rely on:
- consent when placing cookies on your device on the web (through our cookie consent manager) to send you email marketing, or to deliver third party targeted advertising to you on our Services;
- our legitimate interests to process your information when providing you with customer service support, to serve targeted marketing of our Services, for fraud prevention and security purposes; and
- on contractual necessity to process information when you create a Tangent Universe Account to enable us to provide you with our Services.
2. HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
ⓘ We use various technologies to deliver and measure the effectiveness of our Services, to serve advertisements, and to enhance your player experience. These technologies include cookies and similar technologies, as well as analytics, advertising, anti-cheat, and anti-fraud technologies.
We and third parties use technologies described below to collect information to deliver our Services.
A. COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
We may use tracking pixels or clear GIFs to collect information about your use of our Services and your response to our marketing emails. We use Internet log files (which contain technical data such as your IP address) to monitor traffic on our Services, troubleshoot technical problems, detect and prevent fraud, and enforce our User Agreement. We currently do not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. You may opt out of certain types of tracking on the web, including certain analytics and tailored advertising by changing the cookie settings in your browser or via our consent tools, as applicable.
We also use Analytics, Advertising, Anti-Cheat, and Anti-Fraud technologies in our Services. These technologies may utilize the same cookies or similar mechanisms as further described below.
B. ANALYTICS TECHNOLOGIES
We use internal and third-party analytics technologies to collect information about how you use our Services, your computer or device and the health of our Services.
For instance, we may collect and store data from your computer or device when you use our Services. This information includes technical and related information about your computer or device and operating and/or network systems (such as IP Address and device ID), information about your engagement with certain features, gameplay and usage statistics, system interactions and peripheral hardware for purposes described in Section 3 below. If you play a game offline without connecting to the Internet, this data will be stored on your device and transmitted to us when your device connects to the Internet. If you participate in online Services, we may also collect, use, store, transmit and publicly display your personal and/or statistical data regarding your game play (including scores, rankings and accomplishments), or identify content that is created and shared by you with other players.
Third-party analytics technologies integrated into our Services may (including SDK [Software Development Kit] and API [Application Program Interfaces] integrations) combine the information they collect in connection with your use of Tangent Universe's Services with information they have independently collected over time and/or across different platforms. Many of these companies collect and use information pursuant to their own privacy policies.
C. AD SERVING TECHNOLOGIES
These technologies collect and use information so we can serve appropriate offers and advertising to you, to measure effectiveness and distribution of these offers and advertising, and to understand how users interact with our Services. In addition to identifiers and certain information listed in section 1(C) above, this information may include:
- Advertisements served and the location of the ad;
- Length of time an advertisement was visible;
- Domain type, IP address, size of the advertisement;
- Your interaction, if any, with the ad; and
- Advertisement response.
D. THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING COMPANIES
Third-party advertising companies may combine the information collected in the context of delivering an offer to you via our Services with other information they have independently collected over time and/or across different websites. Many of these companies collect and use information pursuant to their own privacy policies.
To learn more about some of these ad networks' practices, or to opt out of third-party targeted advertising, you can visit www.networkadvertising.org, www.aboutads.info/choices, youradchoices.ca, or www.youronlinechoices.eu. Note that opting out does not mean you won't see ads; rather, it means that the advertising you see may not be as relevant to you.
E. ANTI-CHEAT AND FRAUD PREVENTION TECHNOLOGIES
3. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
ⓘ We use your information to operate our Services, to improve your game experience, to provide you customer support, to serve and measure the effectiveness of advertising, and to personalize our communications with you.
We use your personal information, both individually and combined together, in the following ways.
To operate our business and to enhance and personalize your game experience, including to:
- Operate, improve, and develop our games and Services;
- Undertake research and analysis to develop and demonstrate our technology, and to better understand our players;
- Populate online leaderboards and enable online matchmaking;
- Provide replays to you and other players via spectator modes;
- Help you find your friends or tell your friends about a Tangent Universe game or Service;
- Facilitate sharing on social networks;
- Manage and serve targeted and contextual advertising;
- Measure the effectiveness and distribution of advertising, including understanding who engages with our Services and how they interact with our Services;
- Measure the health of our Services;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Set up and maintain accounts for which you register;
- Provide game experiences that you may like;
- Set up and facilitate loyalty programs;
- Facilitate your gameplay on multiple devices and/or platforms, as applicable;
- Identify, fix, and troubleshoot bugs or functionality errors;
- Provide software updates;
- Authenticate and activate your games and save game-play data, including progress;
- Facilitate competitions and contests;
- Perform audits, transactions, and other compliance activities;
- Adhere to your preferences and to deliver content;
- Help keep our Services safe and fair, resolve disputes, investigate and help curb fraud and illegal behavior, comply with the law, and to enforce our agreements and policies; and
- Other purposes you consent to, are notified of, or are otherwise disclosed to you when you provide personal information.
To provide you support, including to:
- Help identify and troubleshoot problems with your account or Services;
- Facilitate surveys or questionnaires;
- Communicate with you and respond to your specific requests or questions; and
- Manage and send you confirmations and important information about your account, Services, purchases, subscriptions, and warranties.
To personalize our communications with you, including to:
- Present offers and/or information relating to games and/or Services you might like;
- Make game or other Service recommendations to you; and
- Provide you with Service updates.
We retain the information we collect for as long as necessary to provide our Services, and we may retain that information beyond that period if necessary for legal, operational, or other legitimate reasons.
We may also de-identify, anonymize, or aggregate the information we collect, or collect it in a way that does not directly identify you. We may use and share such information as necessary for our business purposes and as permitted by applicable law.
4. INFORMATION WE SHARE WITH THIRD PARTIES
ⓘ We do not disclose or share your personal information with third parties except as we describe in this section, such as to provide our Services and to deliver advertisements.
Except as described below, we do not share, sell, or otherwise disclose personal information to third parties (as these processing activities are defined under applicable privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act):
Service providers. We employ third parties located in and outside of your country of residence, including outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), to collect or process personal information on our behalf for the purposes described in Section 3. These purposes include conducting market surveys, providing IT and related services, facilitating credit card processing, facilitating live events, sending emails, or delivering and optimizing our Services. We require that any third party use the data only on our behalf and for purposes consistent with this policy.
Business partners. We may provide personal information to business partners with whom we jointly offer Services. These partners include the companies that provide the platform on which you play our games.
Affiliates and Subsidiaries. We may share personal information with our companies in which we have an ownership interest as is necessary for the purposes outlined in this notice.
Advertising partners. Through our Services, we may allow third-party advertising partners to utilize technologies and other tracking tools to collect information regarding your use of Tangent Universe's Services and your device (such as your IP address, mobile identifiers, pages visited, location, browser information, time of day). We also may combine and share such information and other information (such as your de-identified account information, demographic information, hardware specifications, and past purchase history) with third-party advertising partners. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements to you when you visit third-party websites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as "interest-based advertising" or "online behavioral advertising." We may allow access to other data collected by the Services to share information that may be useful, relevant, valuable, or otherwise of interest to you.
Please also refer to Section 2(D) for more detail on your choices regarding online advertising.
Disclosures to protect us or others. We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our or others' rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
Disclosure in the event of merger, sale, or other asset transfer. In the event of a reorganization, divestiture, merger, sale, or bankruptcy, we may transfer all information we collect to the relevant third party and will obtain your consent to do so if required by law or contract.
Third-party plugins. When third-party technologies or social tools are integrated into our Services, those third parties may collect information about your use of our Services. An example is the Facebook "Like" button.
Cross-Platform Sharing. Some of our games allow you to connect and play with friends and members of a game's community, regardless of what platform they play on. For example, someone on an Xbox could join a match with a player who is using a PlayStation®4 system or PlayStation®5 console. We call this ability to match players across platforms "Cross-Play." When Cross-Play is enabled and you play with someone on another platform, that other platform may receive your platform's ID (such as Xbox Gamertag, or Online ID of your account for PlayStation™Network) along with other information necessary to enable Cross-Play. In addition, we may provide information regarding your use of Cross-Play features to the platform on which you play our games. You can change your Cross-Play preferences by visiting the game's settings menu.
Some of our games may also allow you to continue progress on a game between platforms, as well as enable the ability for your purchases on one platform to be available on another platform. We will share your information with platforms to the extent necessary to enable these features. Your information received by these platforms may be subject to their respective privacy notices.
With Your Consent. We may share information with other third parties with your express consent, unless otherwise described above. For example, you may agree to us sharing your information with a certain company or organization to hear about their products, services, or promotions, or if you tell us that you want to link your Tangent Universe Account with another company’s services. Use of the information you agree to share will be subject to those third parties' respective privacy notices.
5. WHERE WE HOLD YOUR INFORMATION
ⓘ We store and process your information in the United Kingdom and other countries where we operate. When we do this, we utilize technical, physical, and administrative safeguards to meet data transfer requirements set by various privacy laws, such as the European General Data Protection Regulation.
6. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
ⓘ We use a range of security measures to secure and protect your information.
Security of your information is a priority at Tangent Universe and we take a range of technical and organizational measures to help protect it, including encryption of sensitive information. Even so, please be aware that no security measure is 100% perfect. Thus we cannot guarantee the security of your information at all times. You should always be diligent when it comes to the protection of your personal information.
7. YOUR CHOICES AND CONTROLS
ⓘ We provide you with choice and control about our use of your information, including your ability to exercise your data privacy rights.
We give you meaningful choices when it comes to our collection and use of your information. For example, if you no longer want to receive marketing emails from Tangent Universe, you may click the unsubscribe link included in the footer of any marketing email we send.
You can exercise any of your privacy rights by visiting our My Privacy Rights page. To protect your account security and personal information, you may be asked to verify your account ownership. If you have additional questions about exercising your privacy rights, you may contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your right to deletion. You may deactivate your Tangent Universe Account or delete the personal information associated with your account by contacting us via email at email@example.com. If you do so, you will no longer have access to the Tangent Universe games or Services associated with your account. Note that Tangent Universe may retain information needed to resolve disputes, enforce our user agreements, protect our legal rights, and comply with technical and legal requirements and constraints related to the security, integrity and operation of our Services. Otherwise, we will retain your personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to provide you with, create, and improve our Services, and to comply with the law.
Your right to access. You can access the personal information we hold about you. You can request a copy of your Tangent Universe Account information by contacting us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your right to correction. You can request correction of your personal information where it is inaccurate.
Your right to opt out or object to certain processing. You may have the right to opt out of disclosing, sharing, or selling your personal information to third parties, if applicable, or object to some processing of your data, where such requests are permitted by law.
You also may adjust your browser settings to block certain online tracking technologies, such as cookies, as described in Section 2(A).
You have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of these privacy rights.
8. THIRD-PARTY SERVICES
ⓘ Our websites and Services may contain ads or links to third-party services and sites.
9. CHANGES TO OUR POLICY
ⓘ This policy will be updated from time to time and we will notify you of material changes.
10. CONTACT US
ⓘ You may contact us if you have questions about this policy.
If you have questions about this policy, please contact us at email@example.com.
11. RIGHT TO CONTACT A DATA PROTECTION AUTHORITY
ⓘ You may have the right to contact your Data Protection Authority.
If you have a concern about how we collect and use information, please contact us. You also have the right to contact your local Data Protection Authority if you prefer. Contact details for Data Protection Authorities in the EEA are available here.
To contact the Swiss authorities please visit this website. To contact the UK authority please visit this website. Where appropriate, your local data protection authority may also forward the matter to the Department of Commerce or FTC for consideration.
Last Updated: September 26, 2023